Friday, April 29, 2005

What are Catechetical Leaders to do?

It’s hard to believe a week ago I was in Louisville. Now a scant six days later and I’m mostly dug out from under the stuff that awaited my return to Nebraska. A lot of junk mail got sent to the trash, Spam deleted from my inbox, phone calls returned and people visited. Somehow I never learn to avoid scheduling major events just days after the Annual meeting. Oh, when will I learn? I’ll make a note in my palm pilot to remind me. It was an OK meeting as Annual meetings go. I do appreciate the energy two or three catechetical leaders gathered together generate. I will admit to being disappointed by the lack of discussion, conversation or outrage sparked by Peter Steinfels book and presentations. The strongest statement I heard was, “We knew that already.” I am left wondering, if Steinfels’ descriptions accurately reflect Catholic life today, what are we, the catechetical leaders to do?

Don Kurre


No comments: